::R4430 : page 207::
BEREAN STUDIES ON THE ATONEMENT
THE TEXT-BOOK USED FOR THIS COURSE IS SCRIPTURE STUDIES, SERIES V (E)*
*Five years ago DAWN-STUDIES, VOL. V., was reset, and unfortunately the type was not exactly same size as before; and hence page for page they differ. The references given in these Berean Studies apply to the present edition, a copy of which postpaid will cost you but 30c. But keep your old edition, for unfortunately the new Bible Helps refer to its pages.
Questions on Scripture Study V.—Supposed Objections Considered
(1) Where do we read, “The holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying, that bonds and afflictions await me”? Page 277.
(2) What does this signify? Give details and cite the Scriptures.
(3) How did the holy Ghost make the Elders of Ephesus overseers in the Church? P. 278.
(4) The Apostle speaks of his own preaching as being “not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the holy Ghost teacheth.” Where are these words found? What do they imply? P. 279.
(5) We read that “the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God,” etc. Where is the Scripture? What does it signify? Give the philosophy of the matter. P. 279, par. 3.
(6) Read 1 John 2:20,27. What thought is suggested in the words “unction” and “anointing” in these texts, and how are they applicable to the Church. P. 280, 281.
(7) What does the word unction signify? What is the Greek word rendered unction and its import? P. 281, par. 3.
(8) Could these words, unction and anointing of the Spirit, apply to a person or only to a power or influence? P. 282, par. 1.
(9) Who is the Holy One in the expression, “An unction from the Holy One”? P. 282, par. 2.
(10) Cite other Scriptures which speak of the pouring out, shedding forth, anointing, etc., of the holy Spirit. P. 282, par. 2.
(11) In this Scripture the wording implies that those who have the unction “know all things,” are all-wise. What about this statement? Give a preferred translation. Is it here as in the oldest manuscripts? P. 282, par. 3.
(12) What is the truth and meaning of the words, “Ye need not that any man teach you”? P. 283, par. 1.
(13) As it stands in our common version, would not this passage be in conflict with many others? Quote and cite some of these. P. 283, par. 2; P. 284, par. 1,2.
(14) About when is it supposed that John wrote this epistle? Tell something of the world’s condition at that time. P. 285.
(15) To what class did the Apostle refer as “Them that seduce you”? (V. 26). P. 286, par. 1.
(16) Give a paraphrase of the 27th verse on this text. P. 286, par. 3; P. 287, par. 1.
(17) Where is it written that “The Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered,” and what spirit is here referred to? P. 287, par. 2.
(18) How is this Scripture generally misunderstood? P. 287.
(19) With the theory that it is the holy Spirit, one of three equal gods, is it reasonable to suppose that there would be anything too hard for it to utter?
(20) Is the popular thought that we must approach the Father and the Son through the holy Spirit as another person a reasonable one or in accord with other Scriptures? P. 287, par. 3.
(21) If the groaning cannot be uttered, how would there be groanings at all? Wherein is the error of the ordinary view of this text? Give a detailed explanation of it and cite the Scripture. P. 288, 289, 290.
(22) We read of the holy Spirit, “He will reprove the world of sin and of righteousness and of judgment.” Where are these words found, and why is the holy Spirit referred to by the masculine pronoun he? P. 291, 170, 171.
(23) Does this Scripture imply that the holy Spirit operates in sinners for their reproof and their reformation? P. 291, par. 1,2.
(24) If it operates only in the Church, the spirit-begotten, what would this text signify? P. 291, par. 3.
(25) Explain how the holy Spirit reproves the world, what influence it exercises and how and the outward evidences thereof. P. 292.
(26) In what sense are the Lord’s people “children of light” and whom do they enlighten and what is the enlightening power? P. 293.
(27) Mention some of the things which the holy Spirit reproves through the children of the light. Is such a reproving of the world the chief work of the holy Spirit in this Age, and the chief work of the Church, or not? P. 294.
(28) Give illustrations of how the light of the holy Spirit in the children of the light might become darkness. P. 294, par. 2.
(29) In what verse of the Bible is the Spirit of God contrasted with the spirit of antichrist? P. 295, par. 1.
(30) Is the spirit of antichrist a person? If not what would be the inference as respects the Spirit of God when thus used in comparison. P. 295, par. 2.
(31) How should we “try the spirits”? And are both the spirit of the Truth and the spirit of error personated through human agencies, teachers, etc.? P. 295, par. 2.
(32) Give one general Scripture text as respects false faith and true and false teachers which refers to the spirit of antichrist as not confessing the coming of Jesus in the flesh. P. 296.
(33) Give illustrations of teaching which deny that our Lord came in the flesh and which, therefore, should be classed as anti or against, opposed to, the doctrines of Christ. P. 297.
(34) What objection is sometimes raised to the common version of this text? Explain the matter in detail and show that our common version is well sustained. P. 297, last par.
(35) Give Prof. Rinehart’s definition of the Greek text. P. 298, 299.
(36) Is it necessary to believe that Christ came in the flesh to logically believe in the Ransom? If so, how and why? P. 299.
— July 1, 1909 —
Zgłoszenie błędu w tekście
Zaznaczony tekst zostanie wysłany do naszych redaktorów: